Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dada, Jumbo retiring...do they have a job to sustain themselves???

This morning, while I was watching the TV news report regarding the retirement of Anil Kumble, my grandmother (almost 70 years old), asked me “ Does Kumble have a job?”

She is not a sports buff. But, she can recognise Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Harbhajan and her local boy Sreeshanth. And when she asked the question, I am sure she was thinking about the yester year stars like P.T.Usha, I.M.Vijayan, Shiney Vilson etc who are still household names in Kerala. She knows these athletes and sports persons had been employed by different firms like railways, kerala police etc..

 What she does not know is that in India cricket is one sport, perhaps the only one, that gives financial security to the players. She sure does not know that BCCI is the world’s second richest sports organization. It is about time other sports also had their fair share of wealth. The champions deserve to be able to concentrate on their game without having to worry about their livelihood...

No comments:

My Visitors