Friday, May 15, 2009

Elections 2009 – India

UPA improves its tally, disappointment for NDA, severe drubbing for the 3rd front…

The UPA is all set to form the government at the centre for the second time. Disappointing as it is for many like me who would have liked to see Advaniji as the Prime Minister, I still hope the UPA would get its priorities right this time around.

 In an earlier post, I had expressed the hope that the Indian polity at the national level would finally come around to a bipartisan system two to three elections from now. I reiterate the same at this juncture.

 As for the next government, I strongly suspect there would be a mid-term leadership change if Manmohan Singh stays on as the Prime Minister at initial stage. In spite of being an optimist, I don’t have much hope regarding the performance of a fresh UPA government in key areas like employment generation, inflation control, foreign affairs and anti-terrorist and anti-insurgency drive. I would like the new government to respect the verdict and deliver on the grass roots level.

 The coming years would be crucial for the country as it positions itself as the major global player alongside China. In the recent years India has not lived up to its rightful role in international affairs, especially in addressing and influencing the volatile situation in the subcontinent. Here is hoping for a bright future for this great nation…

No comments:

My Visitors