Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I voted..It feels good...

I voted in the parliament election today. I really feel good about doing so. Irrespective of whether my chosen candidate wins or not, it is the sense of having expressed my opinion that makes the moment so special and unique. Apart from that there are certain factors which I find to be of great interest.

 A polling booth is among the rarest of the government properties where you are not challenged by corrupt and inefficient officials. Here the official cannot ask you to come after one hour, you don’t have to wait for the officials to decide whether they would like to serve you or not, a place where nobody can deny your rights and dignity. It is a place where people actually treat you with respect and eagerness, traits which are so very rare in other government establishments. You don’t have to wait until all sorts of quotas and reservations are doled out, and you are given what is left over. Sadly, there are places where the polling may be rigged or malpractices are rampant. To deny a citizen the right to vote is the worst possible crime in a democracy.

 Really, I felt like a true honourable citizen of this great nation when I was in the polling booth. This would certainly be reason enough for me to exercise my franchise at every available opportunity.

 

No comments:

My Visitors