Monday, December 1, 2008

The Indian response........

The Indian government’s response to the recent terror attacks in Mumbai falls well short of expectations. I understand that each time something like this happens India cannot be seen to be placing a finger on the dreaded button, threatening to blow up Pakistan and destroying the sub-continent in the process.

 Still, I want my government to confront Pakistan with all the evidence that we have, and pressurize them to take stern action against the use of their territory for anti-Indian activities. I want my government to do the same with all other nations that are the base for anti-Indian activities, including Bangladesh.

 I want India to secure the extradition of all wanted criminals including Dawood Ibrahim by any means required.

 I want punishment of the convicted terrorists who are enjoying their stay in various jails, the expense for which is paid by the common Indian, to be carried out immediately.

I want my government to deport the illegal migrants from Bangladesh and secure our borders against all kinds of infiltration.

 I want the government to come up with a time-bound mechanism to dispose of all the pending cases related to terrorism. We cannot afford to have these sensitive cases to drag on endlessly.

 I want the intelligence agencies of this country to be made accountable at some level, either to the legislature or to the judiciary.

 There are so many factors that need to be looked into, so many loose ends to be tied up. The task is difficult but not impossible for a government which has the will power, the right persons at the right posts and above all the dedication and the commitment towards the people they are supposed to serve.

No comments:

My Visitors